I met a good friend of mine for coffee today. This was not a casual meeting. This was a goodbye-coffee-date, as she is leaving to follow her dreams in LA. So, this was bittersweet to say the least. I have known her for almost a year, and we developed a beautiful friendship, which I find in my 36 years here on Earth, is hard to find.
I'm not talking about a party friend, or even an acquaintance that you find amusing for awhile, who drop out of your life as fast as they dropped in. I'm talking about a bond that lasts for a lifetime, a friend who you can call at 2am when your drunk and need to vent about life, a friend who will answer your call without judgment, and will listen, no matter what.
I thought I had friends like that many times, and then some life altering situation happens, and I realized their loyalty has a cost. It happened after my mother became sick when I was in college, and it has happened most recently. It's sad, it sucks, but then I have to keep reminding myself, "It's not me, it's them."
Many people have come and gone throughout my life, and some were there for a reason, for a season, or for a time when I needed that extra push in confidence while I was in pursuit for a new career, or a new man.
Some of the best friendships I have are with women who I can trust with my secrets, who encourage me to be the best version of myself, and who are there for me when life takes unexpected twists and turns.
I was lucky to have spent some quality time with a few of my good gal pals last weekend, and even though I don't get to see them as much as I want to, it was nice to have our "bonding" moments; the time spent drinking vodka to 3am and wondering "what the hell is life all about," with my one of my friends giving me that reassuring hug, letting me know she gets it. Those are the moments I remember when life becomes lonely and cynical.
I am happy to say the friend I met for coffee today is one of those lifelong friends. We bond over music, boys, and following our passions. It's partly my fault she is leaving Chicago. I'm the one that gave her the extra nudge to pursue her dreams. She has done the same for me, and has encouraged me to continue my writing and comedic efforts. I'm sad she has left, but I know she is just a phone call away, and we will probably text 20 more times before the end of the day.
The best part of friendship is helping the other friend grow to their greatest potential, and knowing that they would do the same for you. One of my friends from last weekend, who is a writer herself, told me, "Hey, you're a good writer. You need to get paid to do this." It was an extra boost of confidence from a good friend I don't see very often, and yet it was something I needed to hear.
Good women friends are difficult to come by, just like good men. When you find those people who just seem to "get you," hold on for dear life. True friendship is earned, and what becomes of that is acceptance and understanding.





Comments
Post a Comment