Skip to main content

To Know Her Was To Love Her: Remembering My Mom When We Were Both Adults




I've been getting little signs from my mom the past few days, so I decided to post this from a chapter I've been working on from a book about my mom. This is just a draft, I will most likely add more to this, or just rewrite the damn thing. I've been reminiscing about the memories I have with my mom as an adult, and writing this has made me burst into fits of laughter, as well as into fits of crying. I'm sure anyone who has dealt with the loss of their mom can relate to this in their own way. Writing has become a form of therapy for me, and hopefully I can help people dealing with the loss of their mom through my experiences.

Here is my draft:

One of the last times my mom and I spent in the ER, it was during the afternoon, around 3pm or so. It was late August, and after receiving another blood transfusion, my mother was not feeling too well.

Two men were sitting nearby, and they kept glancing over at us. One of them struck up a conversation with my mom. He had been injured on the job, and his younger co-worker, who looked about a few years older than me, was with him for support. He looked to be in his 50s, good looking, blue collar man.

After about an hour of exchanging stories and mild flirtation, the older man asked my mom if he could take her out. She replied "I have cancer," to which he replied, "Ok, so, can I have your number?"

That was the magic of my mom. Anyone she met, they either found a certain comfort and fondness with her, or they fell in love with her.


When I was 21, we would go out dancing and drinking together. Because my mom looked so young, most of the men that would come up to hit on us thought we were sisters. Whenever we went out, we were hit on constantly, some of the men only interested in my mom, once a father and son were hitting on both of us; but almost entirely, my mother would get the most attention.

One night at one of our old stomping grounds, an Irish pub called The Curragh, a young man in his late 30s came up to talk to us and bought us drinks. My mom thought he was interested in me, but once I uttered the words "Twenty-one," he wanted nothing to do with me, and focused all of his attention on my mom, who was 44. I then became the third-wheel, which I was accustomed to when being out with my mom.

Later that night, the man who called himself "Bill," walked us out to our car. I was talking about something and he looked over at me and asked, "Would you please shut up so I can kiss your mom?"

I was mortified.

The week after, I went to The Curragh again, this time by myself waiting for a guy friend of mine, and I ran into the man who kissed my mom. I walked right up to him, and he smiled and asked "So, where's your mom?"

I was very mean and replied, "Well, she's old, and probably sleeping by now."

He just laughed and then I said, "Oh, and by the way, I believe you owe me a drink."

"Oh really, why is that?" He asked, still laughing.

"Because you made out with my mom in front of me, that's why!"

So, Bill obliged, and as he was handing me the drink I so rightfully earned, my friend Dan arrived at the bar.

"Um, do you know this guy?" Dan asked, looking confused and awkward.

"Yes, as a matter of fact I do, " I said excitedly, "He's dating my mom!"

Bill's face turned about five different shades of red. My mom went on a few dates with him, but because he had young kids, she wasn't feeling it. She had been there, done that, and respectfully backed out.


Some of the best moments I have of my mom were when we were both adults, dancing the night away, getting hit on, and being on the same wavelength. Our trip to Vegas was one of the happiest times of my life. We were the best travel companions, because we understood each other, and we knew what we could and couldn't do. We also loved to dress-up, and the one night she dragged me to see Gladys Knight, I wore a classy black-wrap dress, and she wore a little black dress with a plum-sequin shawl, both of us wearing our black heels. As we walked through the lobby of our hotel, a man walking past us stopped us in our tracks and said, "You two look great! Now this is how you dress for Vegas!". My mom loved the attention, and was also proud she had a daughter who loved to dress classy just as she did.


The day of her wake, I was so drained and stricken with grief, I didn't even anticipate how many people would show. By the evening, there had to have been about 300 people that made an appearance, and it was difficult to even walk to the other side of the room at one point. So many people, some I had never met, stopped to tell me how much my mother meant to them.

At the end of the wake, we asked if someone would like to share a special story or moment they had with my mom. A man my mom's age stood up and said, "I used to take the bus with Cherie when we were in high school. That was always a fun time, and I never forgot about that."

A neighbor of ours we only knew for a few years came up to me and gave me a huge hug. I saw tears in his eyes, and I said, "I know, it's sad, I know you liked her a lot." He got choked-up and and said, "No, Tracey, I loved her," as tears streamed down his face.


The wake was a sea of faces, people from my past mixed with new acquaintances, family who made sure I ate something, friends to give me a reassuring nod and a level of understanding that no one else could. All of these people loved my mom in their own way; she touched their hearts in a way I couldn't understand. But, simply put, I guess you could say to know her, was to love her. Her best friend of 30 years said it best when she got up to speak at her wake:

"She was a good mother, wife, sister, daughter, and friend. There is a saying I have on my refrigerator, and not until today did I glance at it, that it reminds me of Cherie. The saying goes like this:
Dance like no one's watching
Love like you've never been hurt
Sing like no one's listening
Live like heaven is on Earth

That is my mom.


Comments

  1. Tracey, this is so beautifully written. Your Mom was amazing and so gorgeous! I enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chris Cornell's Passing: How it Affects the Youth of the '90s Alternative Generation

I spent some time with good friends and family this past weekend, and we started talking about the recent passing of Chris Cornell. I didn't realize how much this beautiful man touched each of us in different ways, being he was an idol that was looked up to for many years, or someone who's musical impact affected us on a deeper level. My brother was a huge Soundgarden and Audioslave fan, and when I heard of Chris' passing, I texted my brother right away. He sent me a text later that day that just said "I'm devastated." I was sad for him, because I knew his death impacted him in an emotional way, as it does when you hear of a person you were once friend's with who dies young. It's like a piece of your childhood has died. When we lived in the burbs for the first time in the mid 90s, and we had to take the same school bus (I was in high school and my brother in middle school) I remember being annoyed in the mornings because my brother, Steven, and...

Her Pain Was My Pain: Writing About My Mom

I started writing about my mom and her struggle with Ovarian Cancer over a year ago. I took a memoir writing course to help organize my thoughts, but I eventually dreaded the days I would set aside to write about her, and I stopped for my sanity. Back in January, I sat down to write comedy, and instead everything I wanted to write about my mom came pouring out. I've written about 100 pages of a book so far. Although, it's still a struggle to write about this painful time I had with my mom, especially about her death. Like grief, memories of her come in waves, and I've been writing chapters of my book based on a memory or a feeling from that time. I've mentioned in previous posts of my mother's death, not going into detail, but just as a part of my story. Because this Sunday is Mother's Day, and today happens to be World Ovarian Cancer Day, I decided to publish on my blog a chapter from the book I have been working on about my mom. This book has no title yet...

"Please Don't Kill Me Before I See Micky Dolenz!": My Emotional Roller Coaster The Night Of A Monkees Concert

I was in a Lyft ride on my way to the City Winery in Chicago last Tuesday to see Micky Dolenz of The Monkees. We were about five seconds away, and the driver decides to make an abrupt left turn in front of a bus going the opposite direction. I yelled out "Holy shit!" and the Lyft driver apologized, half-heartedly, and then said "Well, you wouldn't have been hurt, you're sitting on the driver's side," and my only sarcastic, freaked-out response besides me wanting to say "Fuck you!" was "Please don't kill me before I see Micky Dolenz!". The driver, probably unaware of who I was talking about, just bursted into laughter, as well as the poor guy in the passenger seat, who had just seen his life flash before his eyes. Already a ball of nerves to begin with, I walked into City Winery and went immediately to the bar. Shaken from the incident and waiting for my friend who was driving in from the suburbs, I ordered a vodka soda, after...